I can't remember how I discovered Chad VanGaalen, but ever since that mysterious moment, he has been a wonderful addition to my library. His first two albums, 2005's "Infiniheart" and 2006's "Skelliconnection" were on constant rotation with weird and beautiful tracks like "Clinically Dead" and "Red Hot Drops" but I lost touch and some interest after 2008's "Soft Airplane" came out, whose sound sort of lost the sad & strange mood that his first two albums created for me.
As well as a wonderful indie folk musician, VanGaalen is an amazing animator. Search online for his name and you'll find the real true mood of his music. Sexual, odd, twisting and beautiful. Here's an example from his second album:
Breaking down "Diaper Island" now, my first reactions as I listen:
A great and solid opening track in "Do Not Fear" but the album really starts in the second track, "Peace on the Rise" which gave me hope this album would return Chad's roots. "Burning Photographs" continues to high order.
A great and solid opening track in "Do Not Fear" but the album really starts in the second track, "Peace on the Rise" which gave me hope this album would return Chad's roots. "Burning Photographs" continues to high order.
Slowing down, "Heavy Stones" shows off the vibrato of his voice and the power of mood. "Sara" is a sweet love song, brought together with a strong stroke chorus. "Sara, wake me when you're home." Simple & nice.
"Replace Me" draws in a repetitive, heavier guitar riff with a nice drum accompaniment. I dig this too... so far, a fantastic five star album.
The next track, "Blonde Hash" hits the first low note. It has the signature odd vibe, but misses the mark for me, much in the same way Soft Airplane did. Its vibe is something from a heavier The Mammas & The Pappas, not bad but I can see myself skipping this song while journeying through the rest.
Another heavy track (please note that I mean heavy for Chad VanGaalen) in "Freedom for a Policeman" and in this one, it's as if The Beatles did Led Zeppelin era heavy metal, complete with lyrics like, "flowers blowing in the wind." Not too bad.
The psychedelic vibe continues, in the heavy blips and bloops opening but a song that finds it groove... and one that I'm not finding interesting in.
We've slowed down significantly now on "Wandering Spirits" but the same harsh, live acoustic electronic guitar is still here and so far in these past few tracks, it's as if Chad has lost his sense of melody. The song redeems itself about halfway through, as it begins to break into an experimental trumpet & fuzz. "Hanging out in a nowhere land, you were taken by the hand..."
String & acoustic guitar start "No Panic/No Heat" a sort of Chad VanGalaan doo-wop. Catchy and nice, but nothing to write home about.
And then there's "Shave My Pussy" which I assume is about a cat... right? Drops in a water bucket, ghosts ooo-ing the background, and a sing-song lyrical spoken verse. Odd... but, kind of dug it. Short.
The bonus track, "You Change Your Name" is a honest blues rock song that shows off Chad's tendency to hit Neil Young's delivery style... and a nice harmonica solo to really fill the shoe. As a Young fan, I can stand behind this.
Overall, not as consistent and rewarding as Chad's first two albums, but man that first half & this final bonus track were nice surprises to an album I wasn't expecting to get this year.
"Replace Me" draws in a repetitive, heavier guitar riff with a nice drum accompaniment. I dig this too... so far, a fantastic five star album.
The next track, "Blonde Hash" hits the first low note. It has the signature odd vibe, but misses the mark for me, much in the same way Soft Airplane did. Its vibe is something from a heavier The Mammas & The Pappas, not bad but I can see myself skipping this song while journeying through the rest.
Another heavy track (please note that I mean heavy for Chad VanGaalen) in "Freedom for a Policeman" and in this one, it's as if The Beatles did Led Zeppelin era heavy metal, complete with lyrics like, "flowers blowing in the wind." Not too bad.
The psychedelic vibe continues, in the heavy blips and bloops opening but a song that finds it groove... and one that I'm not finding interesting in.
We've slowed down significantly now on "Wandering Spirits" but the same harsh, live acoustic electronic guitar is still here and so far in these past few tracks, it's as if Chad has lost his sense of melody. The song redeems itself about halfway through, as it begins to break into an experimental trumpet & fuzz. "Hanging out in a nowhere land, you were taken by the hand..."
String & acoustic guitar start "No Panic/No Heat" a sort of Chad VanGalaan doo-wop. Catchy and nice, but nothing to write home about.
And then there's "Shave My Pussy" which I assume is about a cat... right? Drops in a water bucket, ghosts ooo-ing the background, and a sing-song lyrical spoken verse. Odd... but, kind of dug it. Short.
The bonus track, "You Change Your Name" is a honest blues rock song that shows off Chad's tendency to hit Neil Young's delivery style... and a nice harmonica solo to really fill the shoe. As a Young fan, I can stand behind this.
Overall, not as consistent and rewarding as Chad's first two albums, but man that first half & this final bonus track were nice surprises to an album I wasn't expecting to get this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment